Always a symbol not only of the port but of the whole city was built in the form we all know in the fifteenth century, but far from the head of the head of Faro was signaling to the ships arriving at the mouth of the port.
At the beginning, simple fires were used to indicate the entrance to the harbor, and later in the Middle Ages joined the signaling function of the defensive fortification, advanced by the city walls: both from the XII century, the so-called Barbarossa Walls and the thirteenth century, which ended at the end of St. Thomas’s gate. Only with the construction of the new seventeenth-century walls the Lantern was connected to the walled structures that cradled the town.
The fortress of the Lantern was repeatedly strengthened and rebuilt. The most famous of these interventions was the erection of the mighty Briglia wanted at the beginning of the sixteenth century by the king of France Louis XII to conquer the city threatening it with powerful artillery batteries positioned on the shutters.
The siege of Briglia, guarded by an irrepressible French garrison, was one of the crucial moments of the 1506 unsuccessful insurgency that failed to prevent the fall of the city. Just in remembrance of this failure of the fortress, when the Genoese finally managed to defeat the French in 1514, they hurried to demolish it.
During these events, Lantern was severely damaged and partially demolished.
Only after having stayed for a long time “half-tower”, as Annette Agostino Giustiniani defines it in 1535, was finally rebuilt in 1543, returning to dominate the port and city perspective and taking on that aspect that is familiar to us.
For more information about fortress of the Lantern. Click Here.